Ancona

ANCONA

The city covers the foothills of the Conero. Facing west, it preserves an interesting historic center despite the terrible bombing during the World War II and a severe earthquake in the 70s.

 

Per saperne di più clicca sulle immagini.

 

Main sights

The Cathedral of Ancona, dedicated to Judas Cyriacus, (beginning of the 11th  century - 1189)
It is supposed that the original church was in the form of a “basilica” and belonged to the 7th century. The church was restored in the 1980’s. It is a fine Romanesque building in grey stone, built in the form of a Greek cross, with several elements in Byzantine style. The façade has a Gothic portal (1228). The interior, which has a crypt under each transept, in the main preserves its original character. It has ten columns which are attributed to the temple of Venus.

The marble Arch of Trajan (114/115 a.C.)
18 m high, it is one of the finest Roman monuments in the Marche. It was erected as an entrance to the causeway atop the harbor wall in honor of the emperor who had made the harbor.

The National Archaeological Museum (Museo Archeologico Nazionale) is housed in the Palazzo Ferretti, built in the late Renaissance by Pellegrino Tibaldi.

The Lazzaretto or "Mole Vanvitelliana" (1732)
Planned by Luigi Vanvitelli, one of the most important architects of the 18th century, is a pentagonal building covering more than 20,000 square meters. It was built to protect the city from the risk of infectious diseases carried by ships arriving in port.

 

Other points of interest

Cittadella di Ancona

The Church of San Francesco alle Scale (1454)
Renewed in the 18th century, has a magnificent Venetian Gothic portal decorated with statues and reliefs from Giorgio Orsini da Sebenico, who also designed the façade of the Loggia dei Mercanti. Inside works by Lorenzo Lotto and Pellegrino Tibaldi.

The Church of Sant'Agostino (1341)
Built by the Augustinians as Santa Maria del Popolo, the church was enlarged by Luigi Vanvitelli in the 18th century and turned into a palace after 1860.

The Church of Santa Maria della Piazza (1210), with an elaborate arcaded façade.

The Loggia dei Mercanti (1451-1459), with a beautiful Venetian Gothic façade by Giorgio Orsini da Sebenico.

The Palazzo del Comune or Palazzo degli Anziani (1250), with lofty arched substructures at the back, was the work of Margaritone d'Arezzo.

Late Gothic buildings: includes the Palazzo Benincasa, the Palazzo del Senato and the Prefecture.

The Municipal Art Gallery (Pinacoteca Civica) "Francesco Podesti" is housed in the Palazzo Bosdari, reconstructed in 1558 - 1561 by Pellegrino Tibaldi.

The Church of the Santi Pellegrino e Teresa (18th century).
 

The Church of the Santissimo Sacramento (16th and 18th century)