Camerino

CAMERINO

The town is built along the ridge separating the valleys of the rivers Chienti and Potenza and life here is punctuated by the sound of its bells. It was the capital of a duchy and, from its historic centre, the view spreads out before you in a wide panorama.

 

To learn more click on the pictures

 

MAIN SIGHTS

The Cathedral (early 19th century)
The interior houses some artworks from the former edifice destroyed in 1799, including a wooden Crucifix dating back to the 13th century and a Madonna of Misericord from the 15th century. The crypt has two stone lions from the late 13th century, two busts from Bernini's workshop and a marble medieval arch dedicated to St. Ansovinus, a bishop of the city in the 9th century.

The Ducal Palace
Seat of the Faculty of Jurisprudence of the University, is one of the most important Renaissance buildings in central Italy. It was created in the late 15th century by Giulio Cesare Da Varano. It has a portico, a wide panoramic balcony, loggias and frescoed halls.

The Archbishops Palace (late 16th century)
The museum includes a canvas by Gianbattista Tiepolo, a St. Sebastian from 1446 and an Annnunciation by Luca Signorelli.

OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST

The church of S. Venanzio
This late-Gothic church was damaged in 1799, but retains the original façade and bell tower.

The Rocca dei Borgia ("Borgia Castle")
Designed by Ludovico Clodio for Cesare Borgia, dates from 1503. It has cylindrical towers and a massive keep.

Abbey of Fiastra
This famous medieval abbey, cradle of the Capuchin Order, is now abandoned.

The Jewish quarter "Giudecca" in the city center.