Urbino

URBINO

The town, situated among the hills separating the Matauro valley from the Foglia valley, is about halfway between the crest of the Apennines and the Adriatic coast. It has retained its original structure and contains one of the most important Renaissance buildings in Italy.

 

To learn more click on the pictures.

MAIN SIGHTS

The Palazzo Ducale (begun in the second half of the 15th century)
The main attraction of Urbino is the Palazzo Ducale, begun by Federico II da Montefeltro. It houses the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche, one of the most important collections of Renaissance paintings in the world. It represents the archetype of non-fortified princes palace of the Renaissance. The designer was Francesco di Giorgio Martini.

The Albornoz Fortress (known locally as La Fortezza) (14th century)
Built by the eponymous Papal legate. In 1507-1511, when the Della Rovere added a new series of walls to the city, the rock was enclosed in them. It is now a public park.

The Cathedral (from the 11th)
Founded in 1021 over a 6th century religious edifice. The 12th century plan was turned 90 degrees from the current one, which is a new construction also started by Federico II and commissioned to Francesco di Giorgio Martini, author of the Ducal Palace. Finished only in 1604, the Duomo had a simple plan with a nave and two aisles, and was destroyed by an earthquake in 1789. The church was again rebuilt by the Roman architect Giuseppe Valadier, the works lasting until 1801. The new church has a typical neo-classicist appearance, with a majestic dome. It houses a San Sebastian from 1557, an Assumption by Carlo Maratta (1701) and the famous Last Supper by Federico Barocci (1603–1608).

The church of Sant'Agostino (13th century)
It was built in Romanesque style in the 13th century, but largely modified in the following centuries. The façade has a late-14th century almond portal in Gothic-Romanesque style, while the interior is greatly decorated. It houses a precious carved choir from the 6th century, manufactured for the marriage of Costanzo Sforza and Camilla of Aragona. The bell tower is from the 15th century.

Raphael's House (XV century)
The great painter was born here. On display are engravings, reproductions of his work, a number of paintings and a monument dedicated to him (1897).

OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST

The church of San Francesco (14th century)
The church was originally a Gothic-Romanesque edifice of which an 18th century restoration has left only the portico and the bell tower. The interior has a nave and two aisles, and houses the Pardon of St. Francis, a 15th century work by Barocci.

The Oratory of San Giuseppe (early 16th century)
It is composed of two chapels: one of which contains a 16th century presepio or Nativity scene by Federico Brandani.

The Church of San Bernardino degli Zoccolanti
2,5 km far from Urbino facing East, it houses the tombs of the Dukes of Urbino.